Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Brrrr

Deep Freeze

It's a glorious world, isn't it, with such wonderful diversity in people and places. So, while folks in the southern hemisphere may be enjoying the summer months, in the north we're having winter. And for the past week, southern Alberta has been cold and snowy. I mean minus 25 centigrade. Brrrr. And a good 20 cm of snow. Brrrr.

This is the first blast of cold and snow this winter. Such weather is not entirely a surprise at this time of year. But, still, it is a shock to have to put on extra layers of clothes, to plan for extra time getting places, and to need to put the snow shovel to work.

I've heard that often there is an increase in heart attacks when a snow storm hits. People who may be out of shape and who are normally sedentary are outside with their shovels, digging, lifting, and tossing shovel-fulls of snow to clear their walks and driveways. Heart rates and blood pressures go up with the effort and, if there's a build-up of plaque in the heart arteries, the extra physical stress from the shovel-work can end up in a blockage.

I was pretty cautious, then, with my first shovel work since the surgery. Mostly, I think, I'm out of shape. Those arm, shoulder, and back muscles are not yet restored to the strength and vigor I had before this valve problem. Despite the cardiac rehab fitness classes I'm doing, I found I had to pause often to catch my breath and to rest.

One fellow in the fitness class maintains that we shouldn't be shoveling the snow at all. The rehab nurses, on the other hand, say that it's OK - it's good exercise and strengthens the upper body. So long as we don't push it really hard.

I've found the whole shoveling experience to be annoying and tiring. So much so that I'm getting a show blower. Wonderful machine. Will be very helpful. One more toy ... er ... tool, I mean ... to get because of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment