Friday, July 22, 2011

A Year Ago

Memories

Hard to believe that it has been almost a full year since my surgery. But as I walked up two floors of stairs to my office this morning, I remembered that a year ago I would have had to stop half-way up each flight, I would have been out of breath and really gasping, and my heart would have been pounding from the effort.

Now, I took the stairs two at a time, feeling some complaint from my thighs and knees, but arriving two floors up without stopping and without gasping for air. One deep breath, one deep exhale as I opened my office door, and my respiration was back to normal. No pounding heart. No lack of energy. Amazing.

No doubt the recovery process is still continuing, although at a much slower pace than in the first 3 or 4 months after surgery. My resting heart rate is lower now than it was a year ago. When completely at rest back then, I was doing well when my heart rate was in the low 70s. Now, I usually am in the low 60s at rest and sometimes into the 50s. My heart is obviously pumping much more efficiently and maybe it will become even more efficient. I recover more quickly after exercise; it takes less time for me to catch my breath and for my heart rate to slow. I'm having a harder time keeping my weight down and I'm finding I have to eat much smaller portions. Some of that may be due to my metabolism slowing down with age, but I think it must also be because my heart is not having to work as hard and so I'm just using fewer calories now than I was before surgery.

On occasion, when I twist or stretch a certain way, I feel a slight uncomfortable tug or pull - a twinge - in my chest area and around my left pectoral. I guess it is probably scar tissue that is complaining a bit from being asked to move against some internal resistance.

Overall, though, it is quite fantastic to be in the state I'm in today. I'm thankful to have had a health care system and medical professionals who diagnosed the problem, corrected it through quite spectacular surgery, and helped me with the recovery. Thankful to be able to do once again the kinds of activities I struggled with only a year ago. Thankful to have family and friends who cared and helped and supported through this year. Thankful to be regaining strength and stamina. And thankful to be able to enjoy life still and to still be around on this "mortal coil." Thankful to have the prospect of some good years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment